A Dark Room Wiki
Advertisement

Occasionally, the player will randomly encounter Events. These events present a situation, and generally task the player with choosing how to proceed with the event.

Most events are specific to the location that the player is currently in.

Events that can occur in The Room[]

Events in the Room offer the player chances to acquire resources, supplies, or perks. If an exchange occurs, it always occurs at a better exchange rate than what is offered by the Trading Post (with the exception of the Mysterious Wanderer, which are gambles).


The Shady Builder[]

  • Requirements: less than 20 huts have been built.

A Shady Builder who says he can build you a hut for less. There is a 40% chance that he will build a hut for 300 wood and a 60% chance that he will leave without building anything.

The Nomad[]

  • Requirements: 1 fur

The Nomad is a traveling merchant that offers to trade with the player at a better exchange rate than the buying from the local merchants at the Trading Post. He offers a variety of wares:

  • 1 Scale: 100 fur
  • 1 Tooth: 200 fur
  • 1 Bait: 5 fur
  • 1 Compass: 300 fur, 15 scales, 5 teeth
     

Noises Outside[]

You hear noises through the walls. The options given are to investigate or ignore the noises. Ignoring the noises has no effect, and investigating gives a 30% chance of receiving 100 wood and 10 fur.

Noises Inside[]

You hear noises in the store room. Ignoring the noises has no effect. If you investigate, you will lose 10% your wood and gain one fifth that much wood in scales, teeth, or cloth (50%, 30%, and 20% chance respectively).

The Beggar[]

  • Requirements: 1 fur

A beggar comes begging for furs to keep him warm through the night.
You can choose to leave 50 or 100 furs. He will thank you for giving either.

  • Giving 50 furs gives a 50% chance of giving 20 scales, a 30% chance of giving 20 teeth and a 20% chance of giving 20 cloth.
  • Giving 100 furs gives a 50% chance of giving 20 teeth, a 30% chance of giving 20 scales, and a 20% chance of giving 20 cloth.

The Mysterious Wanderer: Wood[]

  • Requirements: 1 wood

A mysterious wanderer arrives with a cart. He asks for wood and promises to come back with more.
The player can choose to ignore them, give 100 wood for a 50% chance of receiving 300 wood in 1 minute, or give 500 wood for a 30% chance of receiving 1500 wood in 1 minute.

The Mysterious Wanderer: Fur[]

  • Requirements: 1 fur

A mysterious wanderer arrives with a cart. She asks for fur and promises to come back with more. The player can choose to ignore them, give 100 fur for a 50% chance of receiving 300 fur in 1 minute, or give 500 fur for a 30% chance of receiving 1500 fur in 1 minute.

The Scout[]

  • Requirements: The world is unlocked

A scout stays the night, offering to teach you what she knows in exchange for resources;

  • Giving 200 Fur and 10 Scales uncovers an 11x11 diamond randomly placed on the world map.
  • Giving 1000 Fur, 50 Scales, and 20 Teeth unlocks the scout perk.
     

The Wandering Master[]

  • Requirements: The world is unlocked

An old wanderer will arrive, asking for lodgings for the night. If you give him 100 Cured Meat, 100 Fur, and 1 Torch, he will teach you 1 perk in exchange: Evasion, Precision, or Force.

The Sick Man[]

  • Requirements: 1 medicine

A man hobbles, coughing and asking for medicine. If you give him 1 medicine, there is a 10% chance he gives you 1 alien alloy, a 20% chance of 3 energy cells, a 20% chance of 5 scales, and a 50% chance of nothing. Telling him to leave has no effect.

Events that can occur Outside (in The Village)[]

Events in The Village may result in the loss of either villagers or traps, but can reward the player with some resources after the event ends.

A Ruined Trap[]

Requirements:

  • 1 trap built

1-all[1] of your traps are destroyed. If you track the pawprints, there is a 50% chance you can find the beast that destroyed them and get 100 fur, 100 meat and 10 teeth.

Fire[]

Requirements:

  • 1 hut in village
  • 6 villagers

In this event, a text box will appear telling you that a fire has started and destroyed a hut. You will lose exactly one hut and 4 villagers[2].

A Sickness[]

Requirements:

  • 11-49 population
  • 1 medicine in inventory

You will be told there is a sickness spreading through the village and asked for 1 Medicine for the sick villager. Providing it will "catch the sickness in time" while ignoring it will cause 1-21 deaths[3] immediately.

A Plague[4][]

Requirements:

  • at least 51[5] population (you will be unaffected by both plague and sickness if you have exactly 50 population)
  • 1 medicine in inventory

When this event occurs, you will be given the option to provide the village with 5 medicine, buy medicine or ignore the event. One medicine costs 70 scales and 50 teeth. Providing the Medicine causes only 2-7[6] of the population to be killed by the plague, while ignoring it will kill between 10 and 90 of the population.[7]

Chance for the sickness event independent from this event.

A Beast Attack[8][]

Requirements:

  • 1 population

Your village was attacked by feral beasts. It will kill 1-11 of the population.[9].

You will get 100 fur, 100 meat, 10 teeth as reward[10]

A Military Raid[11][]

Requirements:

  • 1 population
  • a city was cleared

1-41 of the population[12] will die through a military skirmish.

You will get 10 bullets and 50 cured meat.[13]

Events that can occur Outside and in The Room[]

The Thief[]

The villagers will present you with a man who has been hiding in the store room, stealing your supplies. You have the option to hang him, or let him go free. Both decisions have different outcomes:[14]

Hang

All stolen ressources will be returned.


Spare (Recommended)

You obtain the Perk Stealthy.


Regardless of your decision to hang or to free him, the stealing will stop.

You can only encounter him once.[15]

This event can only happen once thieves have been stealing your stuff.  Thieves start to steal your stuff once you get 5000 of one resource (e.g. wood).

References[]

  1. https://github.com/Continuities/adarkroom/blob/a119d5e6551d6f6ee74d03983860e5794b7ea177/script/events/outside.js#L17
  2. https://github.com/Continuities/adarkroom/blob/f998c270da84de646c5169887082bceb8185a238/script/events/outside.js#L67
  3. https://github.com/Continuities/adarkroom/blob/a119d5e6551d6f6ee74d03983860e5794b7ea177/script/events/outside.js#L110
  4. https://github.com/Continuities/adarkroom/blob/a119d5e6551d6f6ee74d03983860e5794b7ea177/script/events/outside.js#L123
  5. https://github.com/Continuities/adarkroom/blob/a119d5e6551d6f6ee74d03983860e5794b7ea177/script/events/outside.js#L126
  6. https://github.com/Continuities/adarkroom/blob/a119d5e6551d6f6ee74d03983860e5794b7ea177/script/events/outside.js#L161
  7. https://github.com/Continuities/adarkroom/blob/a119d5e6551d6f6ee74d03983860e5794b7ea177/script/events/outside.js#L178
  8. https://github.com/Continuities/adarkroom/blob/a119d5e6551d6f6ee74d03983860e5794b7ea177/script/events/outside.js#L191
  9. https://github.com/Continuities/adarkroom/blob/a119d5e6551d6f6ee74d03983860e5794b7ea177/script/events/outside.js#L203
  10. https://github.com/Continuities/adarkroom/blob/a119d5e6551d6f6ee74d03983860e5794b7ea177/script/events/outside.js#L207
  11. https://github.com/Continuities/adarkroom/blob/a119d5e6551d6f6ee74d03983860e5794b7ea177/script/events/outside.js#L223
  12. https://github.com/Continuities/adarkroom/blob/a119d5e6551d6f6ee74d03983860e5794b7ea177/script/events/outside.js#L236
  13. https://github.com/Continuities/adarkroom/blob/a119d5e6551d6f6ee74d03983860e5794b7ea177/script/events/outside.js#L239
  14. https://github.com/Continuities/adarkroom/blob/f998c270da84de646c5169887082bceb8185a238/script/events/global.js#L38
  15. https://github.com/Continuities/adarkroom/blob/f998c270da84de646c5169887082bceb8185a238/script/events/global.js#L8
Advertisement